What should we wear?
Before we get to where to shop, I'm often asked for clothing ideas, so I thought I'd include a bit of information on the topic. The main guideline that you want to keep in mind as you plan your outfits is this:
COMPLEMENT & COORDINATE BUT DON'T GET TOO MATCHY!
Find a color palette that you love and choose outfits that compliment each other without looking too matchy-matchy. Everyone will have a unique look without clashing in the photo. You can choose to do neutrals with a few pops of color or a softer palette that has different ranges in tone of the same shades.
Dress yourself first! I always suggest that the woman (especially mom if it's a family session) choose an outfit she feels confident and beautiful in. Then plan the color palette and everyone else's outfits from there.
If you have a fun patterened outfit you would like to use, limit it to one person. That way they will pop and still coordinate with everyone else. Multiple patterns can look busy, and this way they won't be competing with one another.
Add dimension and interest by mixing up the texture of the clothing material and accents.
Feel free to bring cute little accessories such as scarves, hats, belts and basically anything with a fabulous texture. Accessories can pull together an outfit and make it look complete. Plus by switching up accessories and layers, you can get multiple looks without having to do complete outfit changes.
Keep our backdrop in mind when choosing your clothing. If we are on a beach, aim to dress in clothes that are light and flowing. If we are surrounded by fall leaves, layering in great textures is a great option. If we're indoors, the options are endless!
Most importantly, be sure to wear clothes you feel comfortable in. Your confidence will really shine through in your photos!
Try to Avoid:
Be aware of any tan lines and how those will look in your chosen outfit
And if you feel like you are in need of assistance, I am happy to help you! Arrange your outfits on a large bed or on the floor, and then send me photos. We can work together to ensure we find the perfect combination!
My Five Favorite Shops for Motherhood Sessions
- Hill House Home. Y'all know I love a nap dress.
- Margarita Mercantile. I partnered with Celina at last year's motherhood event and just love her beautiful hand embroidered clothes. Bonus: She just teamed up with Ann and Reeves and they created the most adorable line together!
- Sunny 'N Sage. This is a cute new local shop that has the sweetest outfits for your mini and for mama.
- Maisonette. It's a small selection but I LOVE their mommy and me outfits!
- Your closet! Who says you HAVE to go shopping for new clothes? Chances are you have everything you need already to look beautiful with your mini.